Big news! My hand is FINALLY out of the splint, and so my life of making things can resume. This is a REALLY BIG DEAL. Now here’s a dress I made before all of that happened.
I’ve been telling myself that I just haven’t been sewing at all this year, but I realized that’s not strictly true! In February I took a pattern-drafting class with Cal Patch at AVFKW. It turns out I’d owned her book for years, but never actually made anything with it. The class was one day, so we just drafted a pattern and made up a muslin. I made this dress up a few days after. If you ever get a chance, I totally recommend Cal Patch’s classes. She’s great fun to talk to, and the one-on-one feedback on the muslin was a great way to speed through a part of the process where I usually get stuck by myself. I hear she has some classes on Creativebug, which I’ll have to check out soon.
It’s a really simple shift dress, so it came together really quickly. I drafted front darts, but left them off this version. I’m not sure this was the most flattering choice, but it is comfy. And I’m kind of digging the hippie back-to-the-land vibe. This is a fashion trope I always come back to, but it’s been out of favor the past year or so while I’ve had pink hair. The jury is still out on whether or not that’s something I can effectively incorporate into how I dress right now.
The fabric is 100% cotton Khadi cloth from AVFKW, dyed with indigo. It’s hand-woven and gorgeous. The pictures definitely don’t do it justice, but it feels great and should wear wonderfully. The edges are finished with bias binding, sewn onto the outside and then hand-stitched down. I like the effect, though I should have been more careful to stretch it around the curves.
The dress is still a bit plain, so I’m thinking about adding some kind of decoration on the bottom band. Embroidery? Stencils? I’m not sure yet.
My absolute favorite part are the cut-out pockets. I’m definitely doing this style of pockets again! I have a deep loathing of inseam pockets. These are a vast improvement.
This is a self-drafted pattern, so there really shouldn’t be alterations…but of there are. I drafted the neckline too low, something that didn’t become obvious until the garment was finished and my bra was showing. The seam allowances on the muslin masked quite how low it was. So I took up the straps about an inch, which helps but makes the fit around the back of the arms sub-optimal. For the next version I’ll raise the center front a couple of inches. I’m also planning to make the skirt flare out more. Something loose-fitting like this really needs to not look like a strait up-and-down tube! These ought to be easy fixes, and I already have fabric for the next one.
Next up: another (much awaited) Negroni shirt for Tom, followed by the second version of this dress and then a couple of Alabama Chanin style projects that I bought fabric for while my hand was in a cast.